Monday, June 22, 2009

Camp in Full Swing


Camp is now in full swing, and all of the programming implementation has been going great. All of the kids that have visited my program area have enjoyed every minute of our activities, and brag to the other campers about their experiences. Among their favorite activities include making plaster prints from deer tracks, one match fires, low ropes, and building a massive lean to shelter. I am so glad to finally be putting all of the equipment that I ordered with the grant funding to good use. In addition all of the supplies have really helped out the other programming areas at camp.

On Wednesday the board member that has approved our grant will be visiting camp to specifically see how I have been using the funds. This makes me a little nervous, but I am sure he will be impressed based on the reactions from the campers who have been at my activities. I plan on letting him observe and participate in a number of my programs, as well as read an article that was written by Leah on the various aspects of environmental education that I cover in my activities.

The field trips that I am planning for the campers at Fort Clatsop, Ecola State Park, and Lake Sylvia State Park are also approaching fast. The younger kids will embark on their day trips on June 30th whereas the older kids will be spending the night at their site until July 1st. I have put together packets for each of the unit heads with all of the logistics laid out in detail including food, transportation, park information, and trail maps.

On a different note, I wanted to write about an aspect of Camp Young Judaea West that I find quite interesting. In my many years of camp experience at a number of different summer camps I have never seen a camp operate whereas campers have the option of extending their stay while already at the camp. The campers here choose between staying for one, two, or three weeks and it is up to the staff to try and entice the short term campers to stay for the full three weeks. This is intriguing because of the fact that the number of campers in each unit from week to week can technically be unknown. These decisions also seem to be made at the last minute, and can make the difference between a full cabin and having empty bunks.

I have included a picture of one of the deer track plaster prints that a camper made.

Below is a link to a website that explains how to make plaster prints from wild animal tracks.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/194867/making_plaster_prints_of_wild_animals.html

No comments:

Post a Comment