Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Trends in Outdoor Recreation


Sunday I will leave for Ocean Park, Washington where I will spend the next five weeks of my internship running outdoor education programming at Camp Young Judaea West and various Oregon state parks. The other day I spoke with my internship supervisor who informed me that the program I am developing will be used as a marketing tool for the camp in the future. In addition she hoped that the grant funds that we have received would be allocated in a manner that could work to attract future campers.

After asking the advice of my fellow parks and recreation students in this regard I have decided to allocate part of our funding towards a GPS unit to be used by the campers for Geocaching. Geocaching with a handheld GPS unit is one of the fastest growing trends in outdoor recreation. I have already located at least ten caches in the area of our camp, and with the unit we will also be able to plant more of our own geocoins. We will be ordering the Garmin eTrex Venture from a local retailer just outside of Ocean Park, WA.

By providing such a unique form of outdoor recreation programming to campers I hope that this can help to achieve the goals laid out by my supervisor. Geocaching is an activity that few camps are able to provide to their campers, and I believe it will enhance their outdoor education. In addition this will provide Camp Young Judaea West with an advantage of competitive differentiation over other camps that market to our same target population.

Listed below is the web address for more information on Geocaching. This site includes information on how to participate in Geocaching, trackable items, GPS units and other gear.

http://www.geocaching.com/

I have also attached a photo of the Garmin eTrex Venture as it is highly recommended by outdoor enthusiasts.
--
After hearing from my peers that bird watching is also in fact one of the fastest growing trends in outdoor recreation I have downloaded a bird identifier application and purchased binoculars from Coleman Outdoor Gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment